: A non-numeric value encountered in /nfs/c12/h02/mnt/222827/domains/diehardgamefan.com/html/wp-includes/functions.php
on line 64
Announced at ESSEN, Hasbro will be releasing a board game based on one of their biggest properties: Wizards of the Coast’s Magic: The Gathering. M:TG has seen books, video games and even a Real Time Strategy title, but this is the first board game based on the license that I can recall. Kind of surprising when you think about it. Even more interesting the game appears to be eschewing its CCG roots and going for a more tactical miniatures style game. From the pictures the game looks like it will be very Heroscape influenced rather than something like Robotech RPG Tactics or Warhammer style mini games. It also looks like the minis will come pre-assembled. No word on if they will be painted or not, but as you can see in the first picture the Chandra Nalaar Planeswalker is while the others are not. Perhaps only the Planeswalkers will be painted and the other figures will be in the color plastic corresponding to their mana type. There is a lot left unanswered but stick with us for the next few weeks as we try to find out more as well as secure an interview with someone on the dev team. Below is the full official press release from Hasbro and WotC along with some early images of the game and some box mock up art they have provided.
What is the Magic: The Gathering® Strategy Board Game?
• The Magic: The Gathering® Strategy Board Game is a tactical miniatures game. Play as a Planeswalker—powerful beings from the Magic™ Multiverse—as you summon armies, cast game-changing spells, and outmaneuver your foes on the battlefield. Be the last Planeswalker standing to win!
What is the official name of the game?
• The final name will be announced at a later date. Magic: The Gathering Strategy Board Game is a placeholder name.
Who is developing the game?
• The Magic: The Gathering Strategy Board Game is being co-developed by Wizards of the Coast and the Hasbro Gaming team responsible for RISK LEGACY and HEROSCAPE.
Who is this game for?
• The game is for new players looking for a great strategy game, as well as long-term Magic fans! The Strategy Board Game pays homage to the TCG by including many elements and references to the card game, but no prior knowledge of Magic is needed to play the game, making it great for first-time players.
How much will the game cost?
• Suggested retail price will be announced at a later date.
When will the game be available?
• The game will be globally available in Fall 2015.
Where will the game be available?
• It will be available at hobby shops and mass retailers.
Where can I find more information on Magic: The Gathering® Strategy Board Game?
• Stay tuned to Magic.wizards.com/boardgame and @HasbroNews for more information.
How is the game played?
• In the Magic: The Gathering Strategy Board Game, players customize the battlefield by designing the map then placing terrain and powerful gylphs. Then players choose one of five different Planeswalkers and move their figure and unique creature squads around the map in a race to out-maneuver opponents and gain tactical advantages! Cast devastating spells, summon powerful squads, and tap into your unique Planeswalker abilities to defeat your opponents. Be the last Planeswalker standing to win!
How many players can play the game?
• 2-5 players.
How long does it take to play through the game?
• Between 25 and 45 minutes, depending on the number of players and their level of expertise.
Will the game include any collectible pieces?
• Each game will include the same five highly detailed, fully painted Planeswalker mini-figures.
What are the five Magic Planeswalker characters who will be featured in the board game?
• Chandra Nalaar®, Jace Beleren®, Nissa Revane®, Liliana Vess®. The final character will be revealed at later date.
Does the game include Magic trading card game cards?
• No, the game does not include Magic: The Gathering cards, but it pulls directly from Magic lore and includes references to many classic cards.
Does the game work with the Magic TCG system?
• No, the Magic: The Gathering Strategy Board Game is a stand-alone experience from the TCG. Many familiar concepts will be present, but streamlined for the board game.
Does the game use any mechanics from the Magic TCG?
• Yes, the game utilizes several classic Magic mechanics, including deathtouch, flying, and first strike.
What plane will the game take place on?
• The game will take place on the drifting, mana-rich world of Shandalar™.
Hasbro, Inc. (NASDAQ: HAS) is a branded play company dedicated to fulfilling the fundamental need for play for children and families through the creative expression of the Company’s world class brand portfolio, including TRANSFORMERS, MONOPOLY, PLAY-DOH, MY LITTLE PONY, MAGIC: THE GATHERING, NERF and LITTLEST PET SHOP. From toys and games, to television programming, motion pictures, digital gaming and a comprehensive licensing program, Hasbro strives to delight its global customers with innovative play and entertainment experiences, in a variety of forms and formats, anytime and anywhere. The Company’s Hasbro Studios is responsible for entertainment brand-driven storytelling around Hasbro brands across television, film, commercial productions and short-form. Through the company’s deep commitment to corporate social responsibility, including philanthropy, Hasbro is helping to build a safe and sustainable world for future generations and to positively impact the lives of millions of children and families every year. It has been recognized for its efforts by being named one of the “World’s Most Ethical Companies” and is ranked as one of Corporate Responsibility Magazine’s “100 Best Corporate Citizens.” Learn more at www.hasbro.com and @HasbroNews.
About Wizards of the Coast
Wizards of the Coast LLC, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc. (NASDAQ:HAS), is the leader in entertaining the lifestyle gamer. Wizards’ players and fans are members of a global community bound together by their love of both digital gaming and in-person play. The company brings to market a range of gaming experiences under powerful brand names such as MAGIC: THE GATHERING AND DUNGEONS & DRAGONS. Wizards is also a publisher of fantasy series fiction with numerous New York Times best-sellers. For more information about our world renowned brands, visit the Wizards of the Coast Web site at www.wizards.com.