For those of you out there who haven’t seen it, Atlus has been running a big countdown over at Persona Channel that has been going through various states of flux for the past few weeks. Well, the countdown was scheduled to end at 8PM local time, or 6AM Eastern Standard time, and since I hate myself, I decided to sit up and watch it. Here’s what went down in case you missed it:
– The stream itself started with an older woman talking about God knows what for fifteen minutes. I don’t know why because I don’t speak Japanese. Sorry.
– The video presentation was basically MC’ed by Teddie. He behaved like… Teddie, mostly. A bunch of the female cast members came in to berate him at various points but rest assured, you missed nothing important if you didn’t stay up for this part of it.
– ONTO THE GAMES!
– The first game announced was, seriously, Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth, a Super Deformed-style RPG that seems to feature the cast of both Persona 3 and Persona 4 in some kind of dungeon crawling RPG. Yes I’m serious. It looks like it’s going to be a combination of Persona 3/4 mixed with Etrian Odyssey, and if there are social links I’m actually kind of pleased about this. You can watch the announce trailer below:
– Next up, Persona 4 The Ultimax: Ultra Suplex Hold, the sequel to Persona 4 Arena got a little more fleshing out. Seems that the Shadow versions of characters will have suitably modified voices, and a new character with twin swords and a scarred face will be opposing the crew this time around. Oh and watch the video for a quick surprise at the end. You can find it below:
– The next big announcement was that of… uh… P4D, or Persona 4 Dance one supposes. It looks like a Hatsune Miku game, and features, seriously, Yu Narukami with a headband tied to his arm. The announce trailer promises that playable characters include Yu (sure), Rise (obvious), Kanami (which will be her first appearance in the games I do believe), Yosuke (…what), Chie (…WHAT) and Kanji (…WHAT) among others, so for laugh value alone this will be worth the price of admission. Check out the trailer below:
– At this point the Twitch stream chat basically devolved into viewers cursing Sega and Atlus’ names and behaving like petulant children. God bless you, internet, you’re a credit to eugenics.
– Anyway, the stream wrapped up more or less without incident, Teddie said… some stuff in Japanese and that was about it.
– … and then the screen went red and 55:555 came up.
– This is why you’re all here, so without further ado, here it is:
2014 is going to be pretty interesting, it looks like. What say you?
Oh, one more thing. After the stream ended, this came up on screen:
Could be a thank you, could be nothing, could be something. Speculate away.