Cave Story, also known as DÃ…Âkutsu Monogatari or Ã¦Â´Å¾Ã§ÂªÅ¸Ã§â€°Â©Ã¨ÂªÅ¾, will be seeing a release on WiiWare on March 22nd. Designed by Daisuke Amaya (aka: Pixel) in 2004, Cave Story was a freeware PC game with gameplay reminiscent to Super Metroid that became popular enough to warrant a freeware patch by fan translation group Aeon Genesis. The new WiiWare version will see enhanced graphics, new backgrounds, both the original and remastered soundtrack, an official English translation, and some new characters as well. Mr. Amaya is working directly with Nicalis Inc. to bring the game to WiiWare.
Though we don’t know the price yet, Cave Story is a good game that should be worth the money upon it’s release. The Freeware version for PC can be downloaded at Cave Story, A Tribute Site, and the English patch for the game can be downloaded at Aeon Genesis’s project page for the game.
The full press release is below the cut.
February 24, 2010
– Nicalis, Inc. is excited to announce the upcoming release of the indie superhit, Cave Story for WiiWare. Rated E10+, Cave Story will be available exclusively for Nintendo’s WiiWare service on Monday, March 22nd in North America. The highly anticipated action-adventure game is the combined effort of Nicalis, Inc. and Studio Pixel to produce an official Wii version of Cave Story (known as Doukutsu Monogatari in Japan).
Cave Story for Wii features enhanced artwork, the official translation, a remastered soundtrack and many other touches that will surprise new and existing fans alike. With artwork completely drawn by hand, Cave Story for Wii has a fresh new and unique look. Players can opt to play with the classic artwork and music as well mix-and-match new and classic audio-visuals.
Along with the higher-definition graphics and music, Cave Story for Wii includes five new play modes. Previously announced as Add-On/Download Content, Nicalis, Inc. has integrated these modes as part of the full game, so there’s need for additional downloads or purchases.
New players are welcomed to try Easy Mode while Cave Story veterans can tackle Hard Mode-if they can handle it. Players can also challenge every boss in Boss Rush Mode or try their skill at Sanctuary Time Attack!
Cave Story Wii Features:
– Standard definition and Wii-exclusive progressive (480p) graphics
– New character designs by creator, Daisuke Amaya
– Completely redrawn background and interface, exclusive to Wii
– Remastered music as well as the original soundtrack
– Mix-and-match new/old artwork and music!
– Five new play modes (including Sanctuary Time Attack and Boss Rush)
– Three-save files, as demanded by fans
– Over 20 epic boss battles through Mimiga Island
– 15 levels to explore in the vast world
– 10 unique weapons to find and upgrade
– Classic Controller compatibility
– Three unique endings
– A few surprises fans
Cave Story on Wii is possible thanks to the tremendous support and loyalty from its fans. “It’s like a dream come true and so wonderful to have people play Cave Story on the Wii. I feel very rewarded and am grateful for the support of all the players,” said Daisuke Amaya. Less than a month to go!
Follow The Official Cave Story group on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=30447119245
About Nicalis, Inc.
Based in Southern California, Nicalis, Inc. is an independent developer and digital publisher with a proven track record for developing well-polished games with library of highly-acclaimed products for mobile. Founded in 2007, Nicalis continually seeks to enhance, and improve the quality of video games throughout the game industry. Nicalis, Inc. is committed to developing wildly creative and endlessly entertaining games that just happen to be affordable. Nicalis, Inc. is also developing NightSky (WiiWare) and working in collaboration with Japanese developer NIGORO on La-Mulana (WiiWare). More information on Nicalis can be found via the Internet at http://www.nicalis.com and http://www.twitter.com/nicalis.
The Official Cave Story website: http://www.cavestory.com
Cave Story on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/cavestory
The Official La-Mulana website: http://www.la-mulana.com
La-Mulana on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/lamulana
Tags: Cave Story